PDC News Flash
New Indigent defense standards went into effect on May 1, 2018. Click here to review ALL Current standards.
Proposed rules for 2018 can be found here. Public Hearings will be held in October. Dates and locations found here.
ANNOUNCEMENT: Executive Director Simmons will be resigning effective Nov. 16, 2018 for a position in Colorado. Applications are being reviewed by the Commission for her replacement.
Next Commission Meeting
October 25, 2018 - 1:00 pm, Boise, Idaho.
The Idaho Public Defense Commission is committed to improving the delivery of trial-level indigent defense services by serving the Counties and Indigent Defense Providers of Idaho. We strive to ensure that the safeguards of the 6thAmendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, Sect. 13 of the State Constitution are met. We will collect data, support compliance with standards, provide training, and administer grants to achieve fair and just representation of the accused. In the words of Thomas Jefferson, “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.”
Click here for a copy of the 2018 Report to the Legislature.
The State Public Defense Commission:
- Maintains standards to ensure that defending attorneys are providing representation within the safeguards of the Sixth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution and Article I, Sect. 13 of the Idaho Constitution;
- Serves as a clearing house of information for relevant stakeholders;
- Provides funding to Counties as appropriated by the legislature to ensure compliance with standards;
- Provides training to defending attorneys; and
- Keeps the Legislature apprised of any issues that affect the indigent defense system in Idaho.