Capital Counsel Roster Information
The PDC maintains a Capital Counsel Roster of defending attorneys qualified to represent indigent defendants in cases where the death penalty may be or has been imposed on the defendant.
- PDC Capital Counsel Roster — Updated 4/10/2020
Attorneys must demonstrate their qualifications and compliance with these standards:
- Standards for Defending Attorneys – Edition 2018
- Capital Counsel Alternate Procedures Policy Approved April 9, 2020
- The American Bar Association’s (ABA) Guidelines for the Appointment and Performance of Defense Counsel in Death Penalty Cases (2003)
- The American Bar Association’s (ABA) Supplementary Guidelines for Mitigation Function of Defense Teams in Death Penalty Cases (2008).
Applicants to the Capital Counsel Roster
To apply for inclusion on the Capital Counsel Roster, you will need to complete the PDC Application.
Interim Extension of Capital Roster Terms Expiring in 2020
If your 2-year term of eligibility on the PDC Capital Counsel Roster expires before October 31, 2020 and you would like to extend your term, complete the Capital Counsel Roster Interim Extension Application 2020 and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org on or before the date your current term is scheduled to expire. For example, if your term ends on June 20, 2020, you must complete and return the form by this date. If you complete and return the form by the deadline, your current term will end on December 31, 2020. The Commission approved this interim extension to allow time for applicants and the PDC to complete the Capital Roster application process. If you do not complete and return the form by the deadline, you will be removed from the Capital Roster. If you extend your term to December 31, 2020 and would like to remain on the Capital Roster after this date, you will need to complete and submit the PDC Application for Inclusion on the Capital Counsel Roster on or before July 31, 2020. The form will be emailed to Capital Roster members and is available here (link above). The Commission will decide whether to approve applications by December 31, 2020.